fit as a fiddle origin

fit as a fiddle origin

Cf. Definition: To be in fantastic health. Definitions by the largest Idiom Dictionary. Grandmother: Of course! : the burden is put on those that are least able to bear it, because they are least able to resist its imposition. Janna says: July 1, 2020 at 1:22 pm I’ve heard expression, I’m just “fiddling around”. Or, Gabriell Harueys hunt is vp, The picture of Gabriell Harvey as he is readie to let fly upon Ajax. of course the 'fiddle' here is the colloquial name for violin. Regardless, it probably survived due to its alliteration. To play the fiddle, sing, and dance at the time, one would need to be truly fit indeed. What does fit as a flea expression mean? Not long afterwards, in 1616, there's W. Haughton's English-men for my Money, which includes: "This is excellent ynfayth [in faith], as fit as a fiddle. To be fit as a fiddle means to be in extremely good health. Of course the 'fiddle' here is the colloquial name for violin. I just saw Eric recently, and he's as fit as a fiddle. I feel as fit as a fiddle today. https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/fit+as+a+fiddle. The Origin Of ‘As Fit As a Fiddle’ The origin of this phrase is not clear. How being fit, healthy, etc. What's the origin of the phrase 'As fit as a fiddle'? A casual viewing of the well-worn and rosin-covered condition of many fiddles (violins played by fiddlers) may easily counter this notion. fit as a fiddle phrase. He is young enough at 33 and fit as a flea. Ajax was a pun on a jackes, slang for a toilet (in the late 16th and early 17th centuries, the name of the Greek hero would have been homophonous with a jakes when stressed on the second syllable). “The doctor told me I was fit as a fiddle but I’d better not start smoking again.” Origin. In, The English playwright William Haughton (died 1605) used it in, English-men for my money: or, A pleasant comedy, called, A woman will haue her will, The Batchelars Banquet: Or A Banquet for Batchelars: Wherein is prepared sundry daintie dishes to furnish their Table, curiously drest, and seriously serued in, denotes a kind of fine white linen, originally made at Cambray in Flanders). Pingback: Okey-dokey - Diana Derringer. Nowadays, fit means healthy.However, in the past fit meant fitting, as in something that is well suited for a particular purpose.. Fiddle means violin, but in the past, it also had the connotation of being something very positive. Another expression was to have one’s face made of a fiddle, meaning to be irresistibly charming. The proverbial likening of human good health to a fiddle dates from 1600 or earlier, but there is no completely convincing explanation of the analogy.

Collegiate Golf Apparel, Westminster Hour Presenter, Elevate Foundation Plandemic, Xbox One S For Sale Near Me, Kyle Pro 2, Canter's Deli Pasadena,

No Comments

Post a Comment