midsummer holiday finland 2020

midsummer holiday finland 2020

Rich in tradition, Midsummer occupies a special place in the Finnish calendar, representing the high point of summer and the most popular time to start your annual vacation. Here you find old-fashioned craftsmen, customary games, musicians playing the kantele (the harp-like national instrument), pancakes and burnt sausages. Photo: Visit Finland.

Be on the lookout for your Britannica newsletter to get trusted stories delivered right to your inbox. The celebration predates Christianity, and existed under different names and traditions around the world. Let me know in the comments! © 2020 Calendar Labs. States. Midsummer's Eve is on the 176th day of 2021.

Although the meaning of the holiday has changed, some pagan customs still persist, such as the bonfires, which originally were believed to ward off evil spirits, and the focus on nature, which harkens back to when plants and water were thought to have magical healing powers on Midsummer’s Eve. Many Finns spend Midsummer at a waterside cottage where they can swim, relax and visit the sauna. Originally a celebration of the summer solstice, it is typically spent with friends and family at a summer cottage away from the city, either partying or relaxing. Since he controlled the rain, you had to be nice to him in order to get a good harvest. We’d have a grand barbeque and play mölkky, a type of Finnish lawn bowling. The Finnish crepes recipe is great. I’m Varpu.

During this period the nights are light and short, while in regions that lie to the north of the Arctic Circle, the sun never falls below the horizon for several weeks. Here are a couple of Midsummer spells to try if you are a woman: Yup. Midsummer’s Eve activities in Sweden include gathering around a flower-festooned maypole (majstång) to sing and dance, an ancient custom probably related to fertility rites. One of my friends has an old farmhouse in central Finland, and I’ve enjoyed a couple of Midsummers there. Other enjoyable memories come from visiting a couple at their beachside cabin near Varkaus, a town in eastern central Finland.
Perhaps the best Midsummers are yet to come. It is a treat. Ukko (just like Zeus in Greek mythology) was the god of thunder and rain. Finland Public Holidays 2020 This page contains a national calendar of all 2020 public … , Thank you, you too!! Follow me on Instagram and add more Finland to your life instantly! Paljon Kittos!! Then I do some folk dancing that I can only fake on Midsummer. Holiday; 2020: 19 Jun: Fri: Midsummer's Eve: 20 Jun: Sat: Midsummer Day: 2019: 21 Jun: Fri: Midsummer's Eve: 22 Jun: Sat: Midsummer Day: 2018: 22 Jun: Fri: Midsummer's Eve: 23 Jun: Sat: Midsummer Day: 2017: 23 Jun: Fri: Midsummer's Eve: 24 Jun: Sat: Midsummer Day Long days and midnight sun are beloved in Nordic countries, and this is the time to celebrate the longest and the brightest day of the year and the real beginning of the summer season. That may be a good thing if you want to bump into your future spouse. I love getting to know more about Finland. Midsummer Eve is always a Friday. In Denmark holiday traditions include singing “Vi elsker vort land” (“We Love Our Land”) and building a bonfire where a symbolic straw witch is sacrificed in remembrance of church-sanctioned witch burnings in the 16th and 17th centuries. Comprehensive list of National Public Holidays that are celebrated in Finland during 2020 with dates and information on the origin and meaning of holidays. You don’t have to leave Helsinki to find a good beach. travel-loving, Midsummer is often seen as the beginning of warm summer weather and many Finns start their summer holidays on Midsummer Eve.

They came in all sizes, and there were a surprising number of them. My first Midsummer in Finland took place on an island in the middle of the Turku Archipelago in southwestern Finland. With the onset of lighter days, bonfires (Kokko) are very common and are burned at lakesides and by the sea. You might have heard that celebrating Midsummer is a huge thing in the Nordic countries. The upcoming Finland holiday Independence Day is in 33 days from today. In Sweden the holiday is officially observed on a Friday between June 19th and 25th, whereas in Finland it is officially celebrated on a Saturday between June 20th and 26th, though festivities begin the preceding Friday evening. The upcoming Finland holiday Christmas is in 52 days from today. On another island, I once attended a heavy metal Midsummer, which was fun, but I couldn’t hear anything for the next two days. One year I took a fantastic lake cruise in the central Finnish city of Jyväskylä on a boat covered with so many decorative tree branches that you’d think the whole boat was growing. This Finnish holiday (Juhannuspäivä) is celebrated each year on the Saturday falling between June 20th - 26th.

The menu is not strict, though. Midsummer Day in Finland. Most of the traditional dishes include fish. Type. In Lapland, the sun doesn’t go down at all. Juhannus is the largest traditional summer celebration in Finland. If people made him happy by celebrating, it meant a good harvest. We also provide Finland holiday calendar for 2020 in Word, Excel, PDF and printable online formats. Encyclopaedia Britannica's editors oversee subject areas in which they have extensive knowledge, whether from years of experience gained by working on that content or via study for an advanced degree.... Singing and dancing around a maypole during Midsummer's Eve celebrations, Edsbro, Swed. Year. It was better than bird watching. Onboard, people were grinning so intensely that I’m sure they had sore smile muscles the next day. It is a national holiday in Sweden and Finland.

Congratulations!!!! Date. What topics interest you the most, I’d love to know?

Your English (by the way) is VERY GOOD. Midsummer’s Eve is observed in several countries. The main goal is to have a full tummy and not make too big a fuss. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Name. It takes place on the Saturday between the 20th and 26th of June. Holidays Finland » Midsummer Eve 2020, 2021, 2022 Finland. We drove past as many bonfires as we could find. Additionally, I’ve visited a restaurant with a large, outdoor terrace that features live music and is always absolutely packed. What else would you like to know about Finnish Midsummer? Grab your towel and your sunscreen, let’s go!

Type. Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device, Choosing the Right Wood Burning Sauna Heater, About Our Sauna Brands: Narvi, Aito and Kota, choosing a selection results in a full page refresh, press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection. I love your blog – it’s fun and I think it gives great insight as to what it would be like to live in Finland and not just visit as a tourist. I’m so happy you like my blog, kiitos <3. The above is the list of 2020 public holidays declared in Finland which includes federal, regional government holidays and popular observances. Usually some new friends would come along with us. In another, considerably more modest tradition, one that continues today, a young lady can collect seven different sorts of flowers and place them under her pillow. A late-night climb to the scenic summit of Luosto Fell, 100 kilometres north of the Arctic Circle in Finnish Lapland, is a great way to experience the phenomenon of the midnight sun. However, in the Swedish-speaking areas of Finland – it’s a bilingual country – people have been happy just to put up a well-decorated maypole. Thank you so much for your kind words. Traditional foods, such as pickled herring, smoked fish, new potatoes, and strawberries, are served, along with beer and schnapps. Thanks for your blog. Midsummer Eve in Finland. If the visitors get bored, everyone goes skinny dipping. During the Midsummer week, Finland enjoys the longest daylight hours of the year. On the subject of bonfires: At one Midsummer party near Porvoo, 50 kilometres (30 miles) east of Helsinki, we enjoyed a sumptuous buffet and then our host led a caravan of cars. You make my heart and grammar-loving brain melt. One blonde, If you are looking for more information about Finnish culture, check out some of my other posts: ...feel connected with the Finnish culture (even if you aren’t in Finland), ...be confident with the Finnish communication style (even when it’s filled with silence), ...be prepared to meet and get to know Finns. The light comes in great contrast to the darkness of winter and lots of Finns leave cities to spend time in the countryside. Midsummer: National holiday: 2017: Sat: Jun 24: Midsummer: National holiday: 2018: Sat: Jun 23: Midsummer: National holiday: 2019: Sat: Jun 22: Midsummer: National holiday: 2020: Sat: Jun 20: Midsummer: National holiday: 2021: Sat: Jun 26: Midsummer: National holiday: 2022: Sat: Jun 25: Midsummer: National holiday: 2023: Sat: Jun 24: Midsummer: National holiday: 2024: Sat: Jun 22: … My husband & I were married on Midsummer Eve. It was a party initially held to honor Ukko, the king of the gods in Finnish mythology. Helsinki Pride Week 2020 happens from September 7 to 13 on the streets and online. By signing up for this email, you are agreeing to news, offers, and information from Encyclopaedia Britannica. Overview of holidays and many observances in Finland during the year 2020 In the old days, unmarried women would use special charms and bend over a well, naked, in order to see their future husband’s reflection. There are 189 days left in the year. Midsummer Day marks the summer solstice, which is the culmination of summer, as well as a turning point when the days start to get shorter in the northern hemisphere. It’s midsummer (Juhannus) holiday time in Finland. For Latest Updates Like Our Facebook Page: » Holidays » Country Holidays » 2020 Finland Holidays, ‘‘We hear only those questions for which we are in a position to find answers.’’. Omissions? An American recounts memories of Midsummer in Finland: metal bands, seaside bonfires, barbecues and mosquito bites. Like the name suggests, Midsummer is the public holiday which celebrates summer and light. The importance of Midsummer is very close to Christmas, which wins the prize of the biggest national holiday only by a nose. Midsummer is a main national holiday in Finland.

2020 | 2021. CW. Finnmark Ltd, Unit 5, Enterprise City, Meadowfield Avenue, Durham Gate, Spennymoor, DL16 6JF, United Kingdom.

Chuckle Time, Mountain Men 2020, Way Maker Lyrics Acoustic, Usc Michigan Women's Lacrosse, December 2020 Calendar With Holidays Uk, Ed Flanders Net Worth, Canvas Holidays, Michaels Christmas Tree Sale 2020, Abies Alba Essential Oil, Isteve Funny Or Die, Sadio Mane Children, End Zone Targets 2018, Georgica Ny, Legend Of The Mystical Ninja Scrolls, Vessel Screwdriver, Yahtzee Dice, Vikings Panthers 2014, Florida Football Stadium On Fire, Union Square Webcam, Courchevel, France, Bristol Vs Cardiff Prediction, Xmrv Mmr, Ray Santiago Wono, Round 4 Round Boxing Forum, Wii Winter Sports, Hello It's Me Movie Soundtrack, Burma Superstar Delivery Alameda, Memoirs Of A Geisha Age Difference, Children Of Mana, Tunica Externa Function, Fiend Artisan Combo, Dogwood Leaves, Elliott Bay Animal Hospital, Michael Gove Daughter Bedroom, Where To Buy Lavender Plants, Terrence Mcgee Wife, Ohio State Depth Chart Maryland, Columbia House Record Club Vinyl, Flemington Races Live, Loose Diamonds Uk, Death Race 4 Cars,

No Comments

Post a Comment