moondial plot

moondial plot

Reminded me of the TV series called "ghost hunter" I think it was called that was on in the early 90s. Living with a mum who is so busy with work that her daughter is almost independent, Minty sees this trip as an adventure of sorts and hopes that something exciting will happen when she explores the grounds of Belton House: a stately home which he aunt lives across home. She goes to stay with an Aunt for the summer as her mother works, but then further tragedy strikes. Every night, she went to the garden where there is a moon dial and she went back in time to meet a boy from many years ago and a girl. Distraught, Minty begins wandering the Belton grounds. Minty has strange mental powers and when she touches the dial she becomes dizzy! there, amidst its sprawling gardens and mysterious statues, a moondial transports her through time. Retrieve credentials. I would highly recommend this not just to adults interested in similar stories but also to young readers. I felt the ending was a bit abrupt and it wasn't clear how the conflict at the heart of the story was resolved, but it still had a powerful message. After her mother is involved in a car accident, Minty is sent to stay in the country with an elderly Aunt who lives on the grounds of an old stately home now open to the public. The introduction of a sinister local ghost hunter with multiple personalities through time adds drama and a twist ending to this book. All Rights Reserved. This has been one of our recent bedtime stories, chosen by me, due to a memory of me watching this story on television,many moons ago. You must be a registered user to use the IMDb rating plugin. Think I read this when I was much younger but I can't recall doing so. Recently widowed, Kate Kane has brought her daughter to vacation with Aunt Mary while Kate works at her new job. Moondial L. Hamre. That definitely does not detract from their appeal, however! There were a few sections of the novel that were different, and as usual I preferred the novel differences. Distraught, Minty begins wandering the Belton grounds. honestly i had really high expectations for this, which may be why i feel like :-/ i love the premise: minty is a spunky girl who has an affinity with the otherworldly - she “had always known that she was a witch, or something very like it”, says the very first page. Definitely one I'd recommend to young and old. I love stories like this and wish I had known about them all when I was younger. there, amidst its sprawling gardens and mysterious statues, a moondial transports her through time. Dark Season and Century Falls: looking back at Russell T Davies' children's dramas, Spooky and magical kids' TV dramas of the 1980s: 1985-89, Spooky and magical 80s kids' TV dramas: 1980-84. Actually this comes over as a cross between 'Tom's Midnight Garden' and 'The Amazing Mr Blunden', both definite childhood favourites and, I have to say better than this. This book was made into a drama years ago and I expect this worked rea. Too many un-answered questions, Another fantastic time travel story! The line drawn illustrations really didn't suit the book, they were slightly comical, a bit like the style used on saucy seaside postcards. The blurb on here refers to the central character, Minty thinking of herself as a witch, absolute hogwash! The ending is poignant but perfect. Second to the 18th century where she meets Sarah, a mysterious cloaked child who is in danger. Now as an adult I really appreciated how atmospheric and spooky the book was, and how Minty dealt with complex and frightening sce. There were some good ideas and had all the ingredients we like in a story but it didn't quite work for us. This Six part childrens was just brilliant. Proof that sometimes revisiting your childhood isn't all it's cracked up to be. Read 85 reviews from the world's largest community for readers. This story follows the saga of Araminta (or Minty for short), who has discovered she has a strange talent for seeing ghosts. Minty explores Belton Hall, an actual National trust property where her Aunt works and soon discovers she can travel in time where she meets a kitchen boy with a nasty cough and a wealthy girl from the hall with a birth mark on her face who was experiencing some quite extreme bullying. Trouble signing in? Simon and Liz were teenage friends who fell into a time hole and found themselves trapped in various periods of the 20th century, where they encounter all sorts of adventures. [s], Goodreads Members Suggest: 32 ‘Vacation’ Reads. Based on the classic children's novel by John Masefield, the story follows the exploits of a young boy, Kay Harker, who finds himself drawn into a world of magic and danger when he ... See full summary », In a post-apocalyptic Britain, everyone has rebelled against modern technology (electricity, engines, trains etc) and reverted to a pre-Industrial Revolution way of life. Lovely self contained short fantasy story, engaging characters, heart warming but not saccharine sweet. It's different from something like 'When Marnie Was There' where the protagonist in that was unaware that she was going back and forth through time. Minty is aware of her own sensitivity--to the cold place on the back stairs betokening some old sorrow, the icy tongues that make her spine shiver. Minty is a rather sulky teenager sent to live with her aunt following her fathers death. I remembered this book being a favorite that I read and reread many times as a child. Minty meets these residents through some form of ghostly vortex which is triggered by the garden sundial that only seems to work in moonlight. It's one of those stories that is timeless and filled with intricacies. If you want a decent children's book about ghosts or tim. Meanwhile, Minty has recounted these mysterious events to her mother, via cassette; her loving voice helps to bring Kate back from moontime. Was this review helpful to you? But there is a girl who is trapped in the house as she has a disfiguring birthmark which is seen as a devils mark! My only complaint is the rather negative portrait of cats, but I still loved the book. Think I read this when I was much younger but I can't recall doing so. Time travel, spooky ghosts, who aren't really ghosts, and a beautiful setting. I don't remember if I was irritated as a child reading it, but reading it now I am in no rush to read it again (and I'd been *so* excited about re-reading it!). As an adult, it left much to be desired. These residents include a young stable hand by the name of Tom and a former resident with an unfortunate birthmark who spends her days hiding and her nights being taunted by neighbourhood children. Probably would have scared me as a child haha. I really didn't realize how much I enjoyed science fiction as a child! 23 of 26 people found this review helpful. It is kind of a horror story about a girl going back in time. I have always loved children's books where there is time travel, especially at night. Book about teen girl going into past and meets two kids. When she touches the sun-dial/moon-dial in the garden, she is transported through time. My only complaint is the rather negative portrait of cats, but I still loved the book. Moondial I saw as a kids tv show when it aired 30 years ago and loved it. Tom Long is staying with his Uncle and Aunt. The sinister Miss Raven comes to stay at Aunt Mary's, and Sarah's terrible secret is revealed. Keep track of everything you watch; tell your friends. While Minty Kane's mother hovers in the misty time of a coma after an automobile accident, Minty encounters two abused... by Helen Cresswell This was a highly nostalgic re-read for me - all the time travel fantasies of my childhood came flooding back. I also really liked he inclusion of traditional nursery rhymes, a lot of which I'd forgotten I knew! I really enjoyed this book. Meeting Tom in her world and his, Minty soon understands his situation. Magazine Subscribers (How to Find Your Reader Number). The story of Minty, Tom & Sarah is one of my all time favorites & has never left me. Reading this as an adult, thought it was a good story. (1988– ). during her holidays, she’s sent to stay with her aunt at belton, this grand old house. 'Light and Shadow by turns, but always Love.'. Unfortunately almost all characters are severely under developed even for a kids book, meaning that the book has little real plot ending. CHILDREN'S. oh man. it’s a pity the storyline is so thin as some of the scenes (like the chess board and mirror room) really capture one’s imagination, and on the whole cresswell does create quite a wonderfully spooky ambience. she meets tom, a kitchen boy from a century ago, and a strange hooded girl, whom minty is told she must rescue. I knew there was a sundial central to the story, but didn't know much else about it - and couldn't find anyone else who remembered it, until I met Alysa. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. The one important thing I realized from rereading this is that I am so grateful that today's readers have so much more to pick from than I did. At their flat, ... See full summary ». she meets tom, a kitchen boy from a c. oh man. heard there’s a highly-raved tv series though and am still excited to try that! Check out some of the IMDb editors' favorites movies and shows to round out your Watchlist. The blurb on here refers to the central character, Minty thinking of herself as a witch, absolute hogwash! I really like this type of book and its suits me well. She's kind of like Lyra Belaqua from 'His Dark Materials' in this instance where her youth and innocent approa. This story follows the saga of Araminta (or Minty for short), who has discovered she has a strange talent for seeing ghosts. Three teenagers discover a mysterious set of owl and flower-patterned dinner plates in the attic and the magical ancient legend of the "Mabinogion" comes to life once again in their Welsh valley. This was a highly nostalgic re-read for me - all the time travel fantasies of my childhood came flooding back. Can Minty find away to help these ghosts of the past? A teenage girl discovers a portal through time, and tries to help two children of the past. This is the first book I ever read more than once. there’s also a sinister ghost-hunter who appears somewhere in the middle, but i feel like the plot didn’t come together as nicely as it could have. Another fantastic time travel story! Minty and Tom set out to rescue Sarah from Miss Vole's clutches - but it is Hallowe'en. First to the late 19th century where she meets Tom, a sickly and abused servant. I thought this would be a perfect autumn/Halloween read as it's full of mystery,ghosts,time travel and a chillingly mean witch. We’d love your help. A time travel book. This FAQ is empty. Teenager Minty expects to spend a quiet holiday near historical Belton House with her mother's godmother, "Aunt" Mary. Pre-publication book reviews and features keeping readers and industry Minty is suffering the loss of her father. My students have a wealth of literature that is both well-written and relevant to their experiences. It's different from something like 'When Marnie Was There' where the protagonist in that was unaware that she was going back and forth through time. It's been so long since I've read a fantasy book which doesn't go all out explaining how the magic works, or a protagonist that's already familiar with it. Many of them ... See full summary », Teenager Minty expects to spend a quiet holiday near historical Belton House with her mother's godmother, "Aunt" Mary. I love stories like this and wish I had known about them all when I was younger. So, it was impossible to resist when I saw this book in the local Library sale. Adapted from a novel by Philippa Pearce. It's not every 8 year old that wants to go to Chatsworth for her birthday but I was determined to have an adventure like Minty's. I remembered this book being a favorite that I read and reread many times as a child. Whilst staying with her Aunt, Minty befriends a local groundskeeper called World who informs her that she must help the past residents of the home find peace as they are lost souls. However, soon after leaving Minty, her mother is involved in an accident and lies comatose in the hospital.

How Old Is John Michael Higgins Wife, The Man Who Knew Infinity With English Subtitles Watch Online, Gabriel Elorde Awards, Birmingham City Vs Brentford Predictions, Msd Login, Work Vs-sd, Jimmy Logan Irish Singer, Pride Fc Ps2 Iso, All Gas No Brakes Show Merch, Museum Of Ice Cream Instagram, Noise In Communication, William Mcdowell I Won't Go Back, His Name Was King Red Dead Revolver, Princess Bride Costume Diy, Gift Emoji Png, Tokimonsta Songs, Catholic Fasting Days 2020, Razer Green Switch Replacement, Boxing Ring Construction, Platja D'aro Hotels, Raiders 2017 And 2018 Schedule, The Perfect Crime Simpsons, Never Would Have Made It Remix Soundcloud, Fireworks Minneapolis Tonight, Ghost Stories Movie Explained, Berkeley Time, National Tree 7 Foot Dunhill Fir Tree, Bok Choy Stir Fry Recipe Vegetarian, Gospel Music When I Rose Up This Morning, University Of Miami Volleyball Camp 2020, Psalms 27, Chrono Trigger: Flames Of Eternity Latest Version, Edinburgh Weather Radar, Courage The Cowardly Dog Get Back To Work, Tokimonsta Grammy, Dowsing Rod Borderlands 3, July Weather London, George Harrison - Brainwashed, Ge Christmas Tree Reviews, Ari Fletcher Net Worth 2020, San Francisco Botanical Garden Hours, The Elephant Graveyard Movie 2020, Psa Acronym Engineering, Mike Bottom, Volleyball Tip, Children's Discovery Museum Online, Argelès-sur-mer Camping, Toronto Pools Covid, 2006 Afc Divisional Playoff Game, How To Describe Your Best Friend In A Paragraph, Lullaby Meaning In Arabic, Live Awakenings 2020, Vashawn Mitchell - Good God, The Quest Blenheim, Michigan Alternate Uniforms, Michigan Football T-shirt, Disco Hustle, Iubdan Pronunciation, Batman Vs Martian Manhunter Battle Of Minds Full Episode, Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends Dvd Season 2, Unforgiven (2013 Dvd), Kam Chancellor Injury, Skyrim Helgen Reborn, Ohio State Football Records Year By Year,

No Comments

Post a Comment